PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

07 H2 engine misfire!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Angry 07 H2 engine misfire!

I live in Alaska and it's 6 hrs to the nearest dealer. I'm 16k miles out of warranty as well. here's the issue

Driving up a mountain pass this evening with visiting family from the lower 48 to visit a glacier when all of a sudden my truck starts sputtering and losing power. I thought I was going to roll backwards as I barely got it turned around. Checked with onstar and they said it was an engine misfire code and needed to go straight to dealer. I drove it home 20 miles ok if I didn't put a load on the engine.
My wife then tells me that last night after driving a few blocks to a friends that the truck made a popping sound after shifting in reverse loud enough that they both thought "what the heck was that". Sounded like it came from center or rear of truck.
So I'm afraid to drive it the 300 miles to the dealer. I could ferry it part way and have only a 60 mile trip left.
I would like to see if I can fix it my self unless you all think this is really bad.
Reading the forums I think the pop may have been from the exauhst. I plan in the am to change the fuel filter if napa has one in stock if not I'll try blowing thru it. Change all plugs, I have a boroscope at work I can grab and check for a broken piston but god I hope not. The truck is all stock. I can order wires and put some injector cleaner in as well.
I also read a post were someone found a broken lifter spring. I can order valve cover gaskets if the other solutions don't help.

Why would it just start happening? Is there anything else you suggest to do or should I go straight tom the dealer and be prepared to get abused? Should I do a compression check on all the cylinders?

Thanks for any and all help.
Ryan

Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I got the misfire on mine once... CEI was flashing... I went straight to the autoparts store and bought plugs and wires... problem gone....

then about 20k miles later I had 2 of the new wires go bad and I got the multiple misfire and replaced the wires and all was well again....

16k out of warranty.... does that mean you have 76k? if so... I would start with plugs and wires first...

Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Stupid question. I'm trying to figure how to post a tread. I'm not seeing where the option is??

Thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

When you go into each individual forum there should be a button in the upper left hand corner that says "NEW THREAD"

Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks much!