Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

**Hummer H2 Belt Noise**

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Default **Hummer H2 Belt Noise**

My 2003 Hummer H2 has had a belt noise problem for about a year now, we have tried pretty much everything to fix the problem but it keeps coming back. The tensioner, water pump, idler pulley, and multiple belts have been changed and nothing seems to fix the problem. Before dumping more money into changing parts that aren't going to solve the problem I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be. The pulleys were all cleaned each time a fresh belt was put on, and done by a GM mechanic, and the noise does go away for about a week after a new belt is put in but eventually comes back. Once the truck worms up, it won't make any noise when idling, but once the rpms are over 1500-2000 it comes back. I really need to get this fixed, the noise is only getting louder and the truck is embarrassing to drive.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 PM

Try belt dressing ($5)...

Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 AM

I understand it was a GM mechanic but make sure the belt is routed correctly. New everything including the tensioner so everything should be good. Only thing I can think of is somehow the belt is routed wrong causing it to have too much slack where the tensioner can't take it all out. I've never messed with my belts, pretty sure they are the stock belts and I've never had any problems.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 AM

The best belt for eliminating noise is a Goodyear Gatorback belt.
It could also be a bad alternator bearing.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 PM

I thought belt dressing was bad for the belt, I have tried it and it only worked for a few hours, the noise came back even worse.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:20 PM

I use it on all my vehicles...

Old 04-26-2014, 11:51 PM

Check to see if the beLt is running square. I'm wondering if your alternator or power steering pump is kicked out of line and the edge of the belt is rubbing the side of one of the pulleys.

Check to see that the belt grooves are actually running true in the grooves on the pulleys.

With all thhe parts you've replaced I can't think of anything else or as said above the belt isn't routed correctly.

Just some food for thought. Hope you get this frustrating issue dealt with.

Last edited by madmayo; 04-26-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:20 PM

Bit late on this but the Goodyear Gatorback belt fixed the problem, we basically went through everything, checked the alignment on all the pulleys, replaced the power steering pump, alternator, idler pulley, tensioner. None of that seemed to work, I even pulled the belt off and cleaned all of the pulleys, it still made the same squeal. One day i finally got fed up and drove over to Part Source bought a gator back belt, replaced the belt that was on there and it hasn't squealed since.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by patspano
Bit late on this but the Goodyear Gatorback belt fixed the problem, we basically went through everything, checked the alignment on all the pulleys, replaced the power steering pump, alternator, idler pulley, tensioner. None of that seemed to work, I even pulled the belt off and cleaned all of the pulleys, it still made the same squeal. One day i finally got fed up and drove over to Part Source bought a gator back belt, replaced the belt that was on there and it hasn't squealed since.
We appreciate the update, thanks.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:52 AM

Solved...Thank you for your responses. Replaced the tensioner assembly with another brand and it worked.

Quick Reply: **Hummer H2 Belt Noise**