Hummer H1 The original Hummer, which brought the Hummer look to the public eye during Desert Storm, with the addition of some features that make the H1 more of a street vehicle and less of a Army truck

windshield wiper won't turn off

Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Default windshield wiper won't turn off

2001 H1 wagon. The windshield wipers will occasionally turn on with the switch in the off position. Moving the switch to high does make them go faster but turning back to off or adjusting the slider doesn't seem to make a difference. And they will go back to off sometimes. No rhyme or reason that I can tell. Anyone had similar issues? Would this be more of a relay problem? I still don't have a service manual to delve deeper yet. Thanks again!

D

Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM

No responses? I've got the same problem with my '02 H1. Have you found anything out?

Old 08-22-2016, 08:04 PM

Shot in the dark but....
My interior light brightness adjustment wheel thing had a similar problem. The dome lights would come on for a half second then go off. It seemed like a bad switch. I took Contact cleaner and squirted it in the wheel area and spun it up and down a few times. It works perfect now.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717842309

Maybe a blast of this on/in/around your wiper control might help??

Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 PM

98% its the switch -the intermittent switch (not the low / hi / off switch). Hummer Parts Guy has them on sale right now.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 PM

The slider switch for the wiper sounds like it has a slow leak and fires the wipers after a while. Notice how if you bearly put it on it will wipe every 30 seconds. Great for when mist is out on the road. Sounds like yours is never turning off. Contact cleaner should do the trick, if not, like Ian said, new switch.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:12 PM

You should have called me on this one, it's somewhat easier to explain by phone. ;-)

It's backfeeding power from another accessory or device. Most common items to turn on when common grounding onto the ground stud under the hood is either wipers, brake lights, or sometimes something else but I forget. And if you disconnect the wipers from the circuit if there is enough power it will find another circuit to energize (likely brake lights by the way).

Accessories can throw power back into the ground wire and if you get enough power backfeeding like this it will energize something. What you need to find is what is causing it, not anything wrong with the wipers. Of course you can quickly troubleshoot out the switch (this could be it but based on what I've seen it usually isn't that simple. It's probably not the switch.

About 95% of the time if you have an aftermarket car alarm or remote start this is the problem. Another 4% of the time it's an aftermarket stereo. 1% of the time it's another aftermarket electronic item (not something as simple as lights).

Regarding electrical some people thing + is power and - is some magic thing other than also conducting electricity (those people are wrong). Ground doesn't mean it's not power, there is just as much power on the ground side as the positive side (give-or-take depending on the energy consumed by the electrical device when it is powered), think of it like flow (positive is "in", ground is "out"). If an accessory backfeeds power into the ground circuit then it can energize another circuit from the ground side if the other circuit is also somehow grounded. A light bulb or a wiper motor doesn't really care which side is power or ground as long as the other side is the opposite. Some electrical devices do matter which is power and ground. Here's an example: the HVAC blower motor in your Hummer will accept power/ground either way and depending on which way you run it the blower motor will either blow the correct way or in reverse. This is the same with wiper motor (but you don't realize it's in reverse because you just see the wipers moving).

Call me anytime, we're decent at electrical but it's still just a lot of troubleshooting sometimes.

Last edited by BigDogOffroad; 09-01-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM

was a recall on my h2 ( control modual)2003

Old 12-09-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tony4
was a recall on my h2 ( control modual)2003
Completely non-related. The H2 is a GM product and uses totally different components and wiring than the Hummer.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:06 PM

did not see the " H-1", SORRY will not even try and help anyone anymore do NOT need people biting my head off for trying to help !!!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:11 PM

Nah mate, didn't mean to "bite your head off", it's just a completely different vehicle so rather than chasing down (or throwing parts at) the wrong thing I just thought I'd clarify. We do Hummer and HMMWV service for a living so many people who read these threads later will use the info other than only the original poster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: windshield wiper won't turn off