PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Lower radiator hose keeps popping off

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Default Lower radiator hose keeps popping off

Hi everyone I'm new to the group so thanks in advance for reading.

I recently purchased a 2003 H1 with just under 17,000 miles on it. It appears to be in immaculate condition in/ out. I flew down to LA for the purchase and drove it from LA to the bay area with no issues. A few days after driving it around at home I noticed some a few drops of coolant leaking out on either side of the radiator in my driveway, again just a few drops. I took it to the local dealership in Dublin California they ended up having to remove the radiator and sent it out for repair.
$2k later and the day after I got home I drove it to work and the lower radiator hose connection popped off. There is no other signs of any issues. I sent it back to the dealer, they couldn't figure out what the problem was. The dealer said they put the clamps on tight and when I got it back again they had double clamped it. Just this evening the exact same hose popped off the radiator again at the same connection. The radiator hose is in good condition and the clamps are new. Is it possible the system is over pressurized somehow? Possible head gasket issue? It doesn't look like the radiator hose and/ or the clamps have failed.

Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks again for reading

Old 08-02-2015, 05:41 AM

This could be a couple of things:
1. The hose is bad and needs to be replaced, when the get old they get soft and tend to come off the radiator.
2. The hose maybe to short.
3. There is to much pressure in the radiator, this could be caused by the wrong radiator cap.
I would change out the hose first with a genuine part. There under $15.00 from HPG, part number 12339162

Hummer Parts Guy 12339162

Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I would start by replacing the hose. With that few of miles on the truck it likely is the original hose. Have you checked the clamps. I have seen them not hold. You tighten them up to a point and then they loosen again.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:56 PM

MT H1
Although i think its still the original hose, the dealership said they checked the hoses and they looked fine. I will take another look and more than likely replace along with the clamps and expansion tank cap.

3Hummers
Its definitely the original and when it popped off the first time they double clamped it to be sure for some reason as if 1 wouldn't do the job?
My fear is there may be an internal head gasket leak and I'm in for some major repairs. All I can hope is that replacing the hose/ clamps and radiator cap will prove other wise.
One thing I failed to mention is that on the drive home from LA to the Bay Area was it was 100-110 degree weather and at one point the temp read 3/4 instead of the normal 1/2 but never went any higher. Once i noticed this i pulled over for a few and let the vehicle cool down a bit. I did notice that on inclines the temp would rise slightly so given the existing issues and some research my fear is possible head gasket issues. I didnt experience these issues upon returning home, just the leaking from the radiator. I wonder if the radiator was the weak link until repaired? Just hoping to confirm otherwise after the hose/ cap & clamp replacement

Old 08-02-2015, 05:30 PM

The hose clamps, hose and radiator expansion cap all appear to be in excellent condition. I took a closer look at the lower radiator hose and noticed it almost looks as though when someone tried to remove it from the radiator, they possibly used a screwdriver and bent in the tip of the flange where the hose goes over. The flange almost looks oblong, but im not sure if thats enough to pop the hose off under pressure? Any thoughts?