PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H1 Starts & Shuts Off Plus Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Default H1 Starts & Shuts Off Plus Hard Start

Hello Group,

I have a 2001 H1 6.5 turbo diesel with 113k miles. Recently it was hard to start after sitting a few days. Now when I do start the vehicle it will again be hard to start then when started in shuts off in 15-30 seconds, I have recently changed the glow plugs, glow plug controller and batteries. Any ideas on issues and how to verify the problem/s?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 01-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Hope this helps.
Starting Problems

Old 01-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Thanks Paranormal! I'll recheck everything one more time.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM

First thing i would check is if you hear the fuel lift pump that is near driver side firewall working with the key on. If the pump is running and you push the fuel pressure tap port valve it should spray fuel all over the place( this is if its good). If you have fuel i would swap the pmd with the spare one that all 6.5 TD hummer owners should have in the glove box.

If you have a bunch of weird symptoms like any of the following - it will start and then shut down or sometimes it wont start when hot or just wants to start and then shut off and possibly restart whenever it feals like it or sometimes it erratically shuts down or sometimes it randomly goes into I want to run over the car in front of me mode / engine surging or anything really stupid like that i would replace the PMD !!! Also read this .....AMGenerals ? View topic - PMD - everything you need to know about PMD issues

Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response!

I replaced the PMD about 18 months ago. I've driven the H1 maybe 6-8k miles since the replacement. Would the PMD go out that quickly?

Regards,
Rob

Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Yessir

Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 PM

The part everyone forgets to do is to re-order the new spare for the glove boX. Test the spares for a day or two and make sure they are good before puting in glove box. My brother at Big Dog Offroad has them on sale with a lifetime warranty.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Here is our basic (condensed) troubleshooting procedure for a no start or hard start:

If the exhaust is puffing white smoke when you turn the motor over:
- it's trying to start. White smoke is unburnt fuel. Needs more heat. Look at glow plug system (plugs, controller, connections, etc)

If the exhaust is not puffing white smoke when you turn the engine over:
- Replace the PMD. It's almost always the PMD. EVERY Hummer 6.5TD owner should have a spare PMD in their glove box so go get your new spare and plug it in.
- Check fuel pressure after the lift pump. Should be around 8psi.
- Try plugging the PMD directly into the wiring harness without the extension cable.
- If you have fuel pressure and you're using a known working PMD then at this point you're leaning towards needing a fuel injection pump (IP).
- Check the FSS operation (just check power, these really never fail anyway but it's good practice to check this before replacing the IP.
- Replace the IP and fuel injectors. Don't buy a **** Chinese IP from ebay, it's not worth it. This is one of those jobs where you really want to take it to someone who knows how to time in a diesel fuel system (most do-it-yourselfers will have a real tough time replacing the IP).

Feel free to call us anytime for diagnostic help.