Go Back   Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners > Hummer Lineup > Hummer H1
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Default Cummins vs. Duramax for conversion yet again

Greetings all.
My 97 open top末"Big Joe"末 is now ready for the conversion.
Since I have a wagon末"Spartacus"末 with Duramax already Im thinking either 12v or 24v Cummins.
What are your opinions about these engines from a fuel mileage and reliability standpoint? Especially with the Allison 6-speed and the 2 wheel / 4 wheel drive transfer case from Predator.
Since I live in Virginia I was thinking of asking KASCAR in SC to do the work since thats much closer to my farm. (They do the military stuff)
Also thinking of going with E-Eatons for lockers.
Thanks much y'all...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Hummerforums!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
1997 AM General H1

I'm a huge fan of Cummins motors. Personally I would go for a motor that still has an IP. Not a big fan of electronics. My dad has a dialog with a Cummins and a 6 speed manny tranny. That set up is awesome. Nothing beats an Inline 6. If V8s were better, then why do all the tractor company's use I6's? The I6 is a torque monster even at respectable MPGs. In a few years I plan o. Doing a cummins conversion on mine
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 AM

For the money the 12v Cummins is the way to go.. I plan on doing one when I can.. if I could afford a full duramax and allison trans I would... but for a toy I drive twice a month I cant justify going that route. Let us know what you go with!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

The 4bt is the Cummins usually used in conversions for H1s. It fits with the least amount of work. I am not sure if it mates up to the Allison tranny.
1992 H1 HMC4
2005 H2 SUT
2008 H3 Alpha
Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM

I just found out that Rubberduck 4x4 will do the conversions with NEW crate motors. Others have been using junkyard salvage ones. They said the Cummins is 1100 lbs. vs the Duramax which is 800 plus.
Wow! Never knew that....
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 AM

I'm a big fan of rubber duck.. but I think he was talking about starting conversion s at 20k. I plan on doing a budget poor boy build swaping my n/a 6.5 for a 12v 6bt. I'll be taking many pics and maybe some video. My goal... less than 8k for the swap!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Well done!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Tags
conversion, conversions, cumings, cummins, duramax, forum, forums, h1, h2, humer, hummer, versus