PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cylinder Head replacement.. and tossing my 2 week old synthetic oil down the drain...

Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Default Cylinder Head replacement.. and tossing my 2 week old synthetic oil down the drain...

Took my H3 into the dealership on Monday to check the tire pressure monitors and a slight rough idle. They re-calibrated the tires and found a slight misfire. They adjusted the coils and left it overnight to test it out in the morning after it was sitting outside in the cold all night. I guess it turned out worse and decided to replace the head (.. or is it heads?). The thing that REALLY sucks is that I just put in the AMSOIL SSO synthetic.... so 60 bucks "wholesale" for oil and another 13 for the filter going down the drain! The service manager is going to check with the regional rep to see what they can do but ...... since GM only recommends conventional, GM will only reimburse for conventional. They did offer that if I brought in more oil they would happily put it in for me... It is also aSAAB dealership so they do have synthetic to put in (not sure what brand or kind they use) if GM OK's that..

I'll answer the polls when I get it back but for those of you keeping score on the miles and manufacture date.. I have 26.3k miles. I don't have it now so I don't know what the manufacture date is. Mine was within the VIN range though.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cylinder Head replacement.. and tossing my 2 week old synthetic oil down the drain...

Inline 5s have one head. I just did an oil change Sunday, drained out my Mobil 1, and replaced it with Valvoline Synpower.

Best of luck!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Default RE: Cylinder Head replacement.. and tossing my 2 week old synthetic oil down the drain...

Picked up the H3 today. The tech worked late yesterday to finish it up. Sewell offered to reimburse me for the synthetic oil I just put in if I just bring in the receipt. It would have been cheaper for GM to just authorize putting synthetic in at the shop... so I suspect that this is a Sewell customer service offer vs. a GM reimbursement. Except for a few little bumps at the beginning, Sewell has been great.... and I love the free carwashes wheneverI want to just stop in for one! No sense wasting more prefectly good oil so I'll keep the conventional oil in for another round then change back to synthetic.