PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Hitch FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Default Trailer Hitch FAQ

Well, I am around the corner in purchasing a new Hitch for my H3. I figured I'd share the information that I've gained from my research, which may help others in making a better buying decision.

I hope I covered all the bases. If I should add/change/remove anything, please let me know!

Common H3 Compatible Hitch Manufacturers?
DrawTite
Hidden Hitch

Do I need to cut my bumper to fit the new hitch?
No. Hidden Hitch & DrawTite hitches mounts right below the bumper, resulting in no cuts and a clean look

Do I need to run my own wires?
No. The H3 comes prewired with 4-flat wiring.

Where are these wires that are already pre-run?!
Check behind your rear bumper. If you can not see the wires, open the rear door and look between the body and the bumper to locate the wires. It should be wrapped in some black mesh or tape or ties. Just poke around, it's there. The location of the wires is near to the side of your license plate, it actually runs with the bundle of wires for the license plate light (see attached picture). Keep in mind, these wires are fairly short so don't expect a bundle of wire to pour out.

How do I connect the wires to my trailer/hitch?
You will need to purchase either a 4-flat wire bracket and an adapter to mount to your hitch frame or you can purchase a 4-flat wire box to neatly conceal the extra wire.

Do I need to drill the frame?
Most of the H3 hitches requires no drilling. HiddenHitch and DrawTite are ones which does not require drilling, simply bold her on.

How hard is it to mount your own hitch?
Simple. Takes about 20 mins of your time. You can have a hitch dealer install it for pennies on the dollar.

How much does it cost to install a hitch professonally?
About $160-$200 depending on the installers rates. I have been quoted $180 for professional installation (not required, but I don't have the time) including the hitch and the installation.

What should I look for in a hitch?
Make sure that the hitch you are getting is a hitch that clears your bumper! Some of the sites on ebay are selling hitches which requires the cutting of your rear bumper cover.

Why no 7-Wire round plug?!
For some reason, Hummer thought it would be a wise idea to only run 4 wires. However, don't fret, if you need a 7-wire round plug, you are most likely pulling too big of a trailer! Most trailer/boat/PWC applications require the 4-flat wire plug.

Should I install the hitch myself?
Absolutely! If you do not have the time, look for a vendor that supplies your favorite hitch and have them install it for a minimal cost. I installed my own hitch, it took me about an hour to an hour and a half for the install including the wiring, primarily for the reason that I forgot my toolset in the boat which was located at a storage facility and I had retrieved the wrong wrenches and everything, sigh! If I had the right tools with me, I suspect it would take approximatley 20mins with a lot of energy (those bolts are lock-tite on).

Do I need to lift my truck or can I just bolt her on?
You can do a direct bolton without needing to lift anything, the bolt locations are easily accessable without needing to lay on the ground.

Is this a one man job or a two man job?
I recomend two people doing the installation. The hitch is incredibly heavy and it's a real PITA to lift it and hold it yourself. A two man team makes installation a snap. Invite your friend over for a beer!

Is a hitch install supported by my Lease Contract?
Yes. Since the hitch does not require any welding to the frame or new holes to be drilled. You can under your lease agreement attach a hitch to your truck. Remember, when in doubt, CALL FIRST and

Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trailer Hitch FAQ

Hi Ockie. I bought the Hidden Hitch and installed it myself. It's a piece of cake. Your FAQ is right on the money. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Bought my 07 Adventure with the factory hitch, but I have read threads with questions by people like youself adding one, and I say Kudos to you FAQ. Bravo, should help others.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks guys. I've updated the FAQ and included more text/guide and a picture.

I broke down and installed my own hitch, I am very happy with the end result, here is the picture of the end result.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/1585094B503C4CFA8B1DDF52F90782D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 AM

I was wondering if you could assist me with getting the correct wiring harness for my H3. I just bought a Hidden Hitch, part number 87406 what part do i need to connect it to the wiring harness. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: kronic

[align=left]I was wondering if you could assist me with getting the correct wiring harness for my H3. I just bought a Hidden Hitch, part number 87406 what part do i need to connect it to the wiring harness. Thanks in advance. [/align]
All you need is a 4-Pin Flat wiring harness to wire up your truck. You will connect this harness to the trucks wires, simple as that I would recomend that you get some shrink wrap and some wire splicers and you should be all set.

Walmart or just about any store who sells trailer hitch receivers will have this pig tail that you are looking for. I recomend at least 24" of wire on your pigtail so you can have some room to play (you can always cut off the excess).

Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Do they come pre wired?

This is where you will find the existing pre-run wire in your H3. This is on the left side near your license plate (runs with the plate wires).

Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 AM

i love FAQ'S

Old 09-28-2007, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: kronic

Do they come pre wired?

This is where you will find the existing pre-run wire in your H3. This is on the left side near your license plate (runs with the plate wires).
Yes sir. All you need to do is connect your harness (or pigtail for those that call it that)to the bundle of wiring thats hiding behind the bumper

Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 AM

Kronic, this is all you need.

http://www.shop.com/Hoppy_Connector_...07461-p!.shtml

48" should be more than enough, you can cut off the excess wire. This "pigtail" will connect up to the bundle of wires waiting behind the bumper.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch FAQ