PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Default headlight adjustment

Since raising the front end of my '07 H3 my headlights are now aimed to high. Where do I find the up/down adjustment and is there any formula to finding the correct height. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Default RE: headlight adjustment

There is only the one adjuster that I can see (the torx head nut on top of each headlight)...Line up the headlight beams of another car on your garage door and markwhere thebeam focal point ison the door at about 12 ft away...Match the beams from the HUMMER on to the same spots. Drive it around ad see if that is enough or too much and re-adjust accordingly.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:21 AM

Jeez....what a read......I think I like Dennis' way better...

5-46 and 5-47 of the manual

Headlamp Aiming

The vehicle has a visual optical headlamp aiming
system. The aim has been preset at the factory and
should need no further adjustment.
However, if the vehicle is damaged in an accident,
the headlamp aim may be affected and adjustment may
be necessary.
If oncoming vehicles flash their high beams at you, this
may also mean the vertical aim needs to be adjusted.
It is recommended that the vehicle is taken to your
dealer for service if the headlamps need to be re-aimed.
It is possible however, to re-aim the headlamps as
described in the following procedure.

The vehicle should be properly prepared as follows:
• The vehicle should be placed so the headlamps
are 25 ft. (7.6 m) from a light colored wall or
other flat surface.
• The vehicle must have all four tires on a level
surface which is level all the way to the wall or
other flat surface.
• The vehicle should be placed so it is perpendicular
to the wall or other flat surface.
• The vehicle should not have any snow, ice,
or mud on it.
• The vehicle should be fully assembled and all other
work stopped while headlamp aiming is being
performed.
• The vehicle should be normally loaded with a
full tank of fuel and one person or 160 lbs (75 kg)
sitting on the driver’s seat.
• Tires should be properly inflated.
• The spare tire is in its original location in the vehicle.

To adjust the vertical aim, do the following:

1. Open the hood. See Hood Release on page 5-11
for more information.
2. Find the aim dot on the lens of the headlamp.
3. Measure the distance from the ground to the aim
dot on the headlamp. Record the distance.
4. At the wall or other flat surface, measure from the
ground upward the recorded distance from Step 2
and mark it.
5. Draw or tape a horizontal line the width of the
vehicle at the wall or other flat surface where it
was marked it Step 4.
Notice: Do not cover a headlamp to improve beam
cut-off when aiming. Covering a headlamp may
cause excessive heat build-up which may cause
damage to the headlamp.
6. Turn on the headlamps and place a piece of
cardboard or equivalent in front of the headlamp not
being aimed. This should allow only the beam of
light from the headlamp being aimed to be seen on
the flat surface.
7. Locate the vertical headlamp aiming screws, which
are under the hood near each headlamp assembly.
The adjustment screw can be turned with an
E8 Torx® socket or T15 Torx® screwdriver.
8. Turn the vertical aiming screw until the headlamp
beam is aimed to the horizontal tape line. If you turn
it clockwise, it will raise the beam and if you turn it
counterclockwise, it will lower the beam.
The top edge of the cut-off should be positioned at
the bottom edge of the horizontal tape line.
9. Repeat Steps 7 and 8 for the opposite headlamp.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

This is wrong.

I adjusted my headlights this week.

Clockwise lowers the beam and Counter-Clockwise raises the beam.

However, my headlights are not pointed properly left and right. Both headlights focus too much to the passenger's side and are not centered. It's almost like they are intentionally aimed that way to be able to see the passenger's side of the road better.

Does anybody know if there is an adjustment to move the headlight left and right, rather then up and down? I can't seem to find one.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Rub a tree on the outside of the fender? Pushes the light to center.

HummerGuy: I do believe you are correct, the manual has it backwards? At least on my truck. WTF? Side to side I'm not sure. I'll look this evening. Manual is silent on that.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I checked it out but it doesn't look like there is any adjustment, but I didn't go digging too much. I would think it very odd if you can't aim then in all 4 directions, but with all the issues I've had with this thing, it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

I could not see a side to side adjuster, but it was nearly dark by the time I had a chance to look. Doh. We'll see when I get home tonight.

Before me and the little man start watching the Rise of the Silver Surfer. 1080 up convert HDMI,6.1 surround and double firing Subwoofer baby!!!!!!!

Ok ok, I gotta think you can aim the H3 headlights side to side, but who knows????? Anybody

Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Please, don't get me started on Home Theater. I will have 1000 new posts by the end of the day

BUT, just as a side note, I have a Samsung 1080i/p upconverting player through HDMI also, and I'll tell you, upconversion does not come CLOSE to HD-DVD quality, especially when comparing the same movie playing on both players switching back and forth. When you first get upconversion set up, you say, WOW this is great, but when you get your HD-DVD player and switch back and forth, you think, WOW, HD-DVD IS GREAT AND UPCONVERSION IS KINDA BLURRY. Amazing how great we think things look until we have something better to compare it to

But anyway, back to headlight aiming and not talking about how BluRay doesn't have half the features HD-DVD has and also no Hybrid discs, and huge royalties to Sony, inflating the costs of BluRay discs when the resolution on both is exactly the same. We won't talk about that

Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Aw, now ya had to burst my bubble. If I never do a side by side compare, "what you don't know can't hurt you!" Quote from Bugs Bunny.

I checked it out at the ABC Wharehouse, but it was on different tvs,, different players (not really apples to apples) and I didn't see a tremendous difference there. My Sony DVD player was $119.00 shipped to my house. That flippin HDMI cable was $55.00[:@] My Net Admin here tells me that Blue Ray is a waste. Also said not to buy a HD DVD player, get the Xbox and play them thru there instead, and you can do games = bonus? I'm gonna get the kids a Wii for xmas, it plays thru HDMI, but I don't know if it cam play any DVDs, don't really care.

Where's those 1000 posts I will look for headlight horizontal aimers since no adjustment just makes no sense? Removing two skid plates to change oil isn't brilliant either? Why not a trap door and remote filter??

Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Dear Sir,

Being a fellow gamer since the age of 4 (Now, 31), I must enlighten you on some things.

A) You can buy a very high-quality HDMI cable on eBay for about $5. HDMI is a pure digital signal, which means, it's either ON or OFF. This means you must not fall for the good old analog speech "Well this is gold plated and filled with gas so there is less interference then a non-gold or gas-filled HDMI cable" Anybody with an electronic's engineering background (myself) will tell you that with HDMI/Digital, it either works or it doesn't, so you fell for the old speech probably (I'm sorry)

B) The Nintendo Wii does not support HDMI, and the highest native resolution is 480p over Component cables. I owned a Wii and sold it.

C). You can NOT play DVD movies through the Nintendo Wii. It uses standard single and dual-layer DVD discs, otherwise referred to as DVD-9 discs, but for Data-Only. The Future release of Wii, POSSIBLY coming out this winter, WILL in-fact support DVD Movie playback, but that is still yet to be confirmed, and will definitely not be HD, since the drive is a standard DVD drive, and the Wii doesn't even support HD output.

D) I have the XBOX 360 with the HD-DVD drive attachment, which we use to watch HD-DVD drives, so your person is right, for the money, it's a much better investment.

E) Your Net Admin is OK in my book, because anybody that has a REALLY big technical background usually chooses HD-DVD over BluRay, because 1) We don't fall for the hype and 2) HD-DVD players AND movies are less expensive, and are the exact same resolution.

And here is another MYTH:

BluRay can do 1080p and HD-DVD can't.

WRONG! That is only what the BluRay fanboys say because Sony was shoving that BS down everybody's throat.

So,even though I apparently prefer HD-DVD, I just wanted you to have some facts, and let you know your Net Admin (we will call him Bob Smith) seems to know his stuff. Stick with the guy.

Maybe HE can tell us if we can aim our headlights horizontally

Quick Reply: headlight adjustment