H3 - How To: Remove Door Handles w/Pics

Old 01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Default H3 - How To: Remove Door Handles w/Pics

I found some instructions in the forum explaining how to replace the door handles on an H3 but thought as I did this, I would document the process with pictures and step-by-step instructions. Hope it's helpful.

The process is very easy, the process requires only a deep well 10mm socket (or standard size 10mm socket w/extension) and a flathead screwdriver.

Open the door and locate the round black cover (about the size of a 1/2 dollar) near the door handle. Using the flathead screwdriver, pry off this rubber/plastic cover:

After the cover is off, you will see a bolt. Using the 10mm socket remove this bolt. CAUTION - REMOVE THIS BOLT CAREFULLY AS TO NOT LET IT FALL INSIDE OF THE DOOR PANEL.

When the bolt is removed, pull slightly on the door handle as if you were opening the door. This will allow the end cap of the door handle to move freely away.

*see note 1below, before doing this next step
To remove the remaining handle assembly, pull slightly on the handle (as if to open the door) and with the base of your other palm hit the hinge end of the handle (opposite of the end cap piece) toward the rear of the vehicle while tugging slightly. This will release two small plastic nubs that hold the handle in place and the remaining handle will come free. You may have to bang on it a few times to get it to come free.

To install new handles, just do this in the opposite order.

Some notes:
1 - I found that one of the small tabs on the hinge end of the handle may want to break off. After installing the handle after one of these small tabs broke off, I could tell NO difference in the play of the handle and it seems to have no bearing on the integrity of the handle.
2 - I also found that when installing a handle, the "trigger" to unlatch the door managed to spring upward and did not make contact with the new handle...making the handle not open the door. If this happens, reach in and pull the little 'trigger' downward back into position and have someone pull the inside door handle and hold it as if they were opening the door. Install the handle at this point and it should catch the 'trigger'. We found this happened on only 1 of the 10 handles we replaced.
3 - We replaced all 5 handles on 2 vehicles in about 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: H3 - How To: Remove Door Handles w/Pics

Another great how to with excellent pics. Thanks for the good work!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM

I figured I'd chime in with my own additions.

I did this last evening. I really wouldn't want the pleasure of doing it again, lol.

My first handle also had the thing where the lever was upward and the door handle was not working. I went over and observed the other side after I took the other one off and figured it out. I didn't remember you having this problem in your post, but now I see you did.

To make certain I didn't lose any bolts, I had a small telescopic magnet and I had that underneath the bolt/socket when taking it out. This may help to make certain no one loses a bolt.

Since I had to be kind of rough on the handles on my 1 week old vehicle... I was a little worried about scratching it. I put painters tape on the areas around the door handle just to make certain there were no scratches if I got crazy with one of the handles.

The rear one was tougher, for me, to do because of the spare tire being there. I had fun with it. The side of my hand is a little sore today but at least the job is done!

Thanks for the step-by-step.

Oh, Edit, one last thing. Those access plug covers will come off with your fingers. I didn't want to scratch anything with a screw driver. I'm too picky

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Very nice write up. Does anyone have the part numbers for the GM Black door handles? How about GM part number for black mirror housings? Thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Excellent tutorial. Thank you.

H34me

Old 03-01-2008, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: whatever

Very nice write up. Does anyone have the part numbers for the GM Black door handles? How about GM part number for black mirror housings? Thanks!
I sell GM parts for wholesale pricing so contact me if you're interested. I also have a 2 month old H3 with black mirrors and I'm looking for the chrome mirrors. We could trade.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the great instructions -my handles came off without a hitch- hopefully the reinstall goes as smooth-
I was nervous about dropping the bolts so i went to sears and they had magnets that fit into the socket making the bolt removal simple - just a tip for those of you as clumsy as i am

Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 PM

I have the black plastic ones on my 06 H3 and wanting chrome ones too trade for. If anyone is interested please email me. lovenpain@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 AM

I had to post about my experience with this just to add a couple bits of new information. I attempted this job last night and have to say, it would not have been possible without this thread, which is documented perfectly.

I have a 2009 and actually traded handles with a 2006 (his chrome for my black). The first handle I did, the latch sprung up like you mentioned above. On the 2009, holding the interior door handle open did nothing to help that latch stay down when I managed to pull it back down with my finger. We tried to hold it down with a screwdriver but it slid off and when it snapped back, the whole assembly came loose inside the door.

We ended up taking the whole door panel off and there just wasn't enough access to be able to put it back together. Off to the dealership I go this morning.

We had only one other handle where the latch sprung up and this time, we took a bread tie (with the wire inside) and folded it in half holding the two loose ends with pliers. We looped the other end around the bottom of the latch and pulled it down. This allowed us to get the door handle in to catch the lever. Once the door handle was in, we pulled the bread tie out (which took a little muscle).

So out of 10 handles, we got 9 in perfectly. It is actually not a hard job at all. I just wanted to mention my experience with the door latch assembly so no one else would have the same problem. By the way, none of the latches sprung up on the 2006.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Thumbs up extremely helpful!!!

I was ready to remove the door panels to get to the handles lol. I actually read a different forum before reading this one, that said you need to remove the panels. I'm so happy i kept searching and found this one. Thanks alot for the help, made this lil' job a whole lot easier!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H3 - How To: Remove Door Handles w/Pics