PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Fuel Door Install Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default GM Fuel Door Install Instructions

1. Unscrew gas filler cap.
2. Remove production fuel filler cup.
a. Using a plastic putty knife or body side molding wet-out tool between the fuel filler cup by wedging
the tool between the filler cup and the quarter flare working in a clockwise direction until the fuel
is free. Use a plastic bag or similar material between knife and body panel for paint protection.
NOTE: Take care not to scratch the painted surfaces of the quarter flare.
3. Using a screwdriver remove the teather from the fuel filler cup. Repalce filler cap to keep drill fines
out of the tank when drilling.
4.Using the drilling template provided, align and secure the template on the quarter flare. Secure template
with small pieces of tape at 12/3/6/9 to hold...
5. Use center punch to dimple flare thru crosshairs. This establishes drill bit position and will keep the drill
from wandering. Using a 1/8" drill bit, drill the 5 pilot holes thru the crosshairs on the drill template while
secured in place.
6. Remove the drilling template.
7. Using a 19/64" drill bit, redrill the 5 holes thru the quarter flare. NOTE: Make sure the drill bit is
perpendicular to the quarter flare. De-burr the holes after drilling. You can now remove the filler cap.
8.Insert the 5 tubular speed clips provided in the package into the 5 holes you drilled. Orintate speed clip
flat toward filler opening. NOTE: The tubular speed clips may require to be slightly tapped with
a rubber/plastic mallet to snap into quarter flare.
9. Install the pre-drilled fuel filler cup from the package into the opening in the quarter flare. Make sure
that all the snap features on the fuel filler cup lock into place on the quaerter flare.
10. Using the chrome fuel door assembly with trim ring provided, insert the posts on the chrome fuel door
assembly into the 5 holes in the fuel filler cup face. Apply pressure untill the fuel door assembly will
not insert any further.
11. Open the chrome fuel door.
12. Using a 1/4" "L" shaped Allen wrench, insert the long end of the Allen wrench into the hole on the
inside of the fuel filler cup. NOTE: Hold top of Allem wrench and pull in towards the center of
fuel filler cup creating support behind the tubular speed clips in the quarter flare.
13. Secure plastic or similar prtective material over chrome rings with tape, leaving the filler area open
so while tapping, you can hold the panel outboard for a tight fit.
14. Using a rubber mallet, tap on the face of the chrome fuel door while pulling back on the Allen wrench
to provide support for the quarter flare in all 5 positions.
15. Repeat #14 as you work your way around the chrome fuel door surface. The final result should be
that the adaptor ring is flush with the quarter flare.
16. Install the 5 black hole plugs provided into the holes on the inside surface of the fuel filler cup.
17. Reinstall the teather in the fuel filler cup.
18. Reinstall gas filler cap.
19. Close the fual filler door.

H3 Chrome Fuel Door rev 14MR06 part No. 19131532

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL IS THE 19/64

Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Nice write up Doc, i installed mine last winter. I would recommend that anyone who gets this cap to save the OEM bucket! Anyone can pry this gas cap cover off leaving you with a gapping hole and 5 new holes drilled into your quarter panel.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

Thanks...just came here to look up this answer

Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM

installed the OEM chrome door this morning...

so I have a problem with the design, specifically, those speed clips...anyone else notice that it doesn't seem that secure? anyone utilize some silicone adhesive to hold the fuel door mount to the vehicle better?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned
Default nice doors,lousey mounting

i did 2 aftermkt doors. they are heavy duty nice metal but crappy tiny screws that mount to the same plastic you're talking about.
i used 4 stainless/chrome self tapping screws that went thru 4 of the deco holes,thru the fender and into a custom ring i made to fit,inside the fender.

it was really a tough job but i have time so i did it. it will never come off!!
thats my best shot,i couldnt see doing a flimsey job on an EXPENSIVE part. mine locks.

if you pursue this be ready for an unusual mechanical/unsemetrical assembly!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM

I attempted it, but think I'll let someone else do it for me.....I'll have myself locked out...lol

Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jman_in_minnesota
installed the OEM chrome door this morning...

so I have a problem with the design, specifically, those speed clips...anyone else notice that it doesn't seem that secure? anyone utilize some silicone adhesive to hold the fuel door mount to the vehicle better?
Mine have been on the truck for 5 years (I replaced the first one last year because the road salt killed the chrome plate), it ain't gonna fall off as long as you used the 19/64" drill bit and did not just fudge it with a 5/16".

What most people don't know is anybody with basic arm strength could walk by and pull it off if they knew how it was attached. I park this truck all over in less than desirable ares of Detroit, Flint, Pontiac and Downriver, never been bothered.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 PM

I just have mine install on my H3 2009 and I notice that, what I did I use a super glue on those clips to prevent to come out. hope stay put.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Installed mine yesterday and getting those plastic tabs into the tubular speed clips was a bear. While wrestling with it the final little bit, the door came off. I got it back on, but if anyone is worrying about someone pulling the thing off, the actual door will come off way before the rubber ring that's attached to the fill cup. Those tubular clips were in there pretty good. Thanks for the step by step Doc! I printed it and followed every step.

Ben

Old 08-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Did You Figure out how to fix this issue from installing it?

Quick Reply: GM Fuel Door Install Instructions