PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear DRL Tutorial w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Default Clear DRL Tutorial w/Pics

I realize we have a running thread on this subject but I think it has lost some steam.

You can do this mod with the tires turned in for access but if you remove the wheel it becomes amazingly easy. (damn our tires are heavy!).

Start out by removing all the push pins. There are about 12 in each wheel well. You need a screw driver and needle knose pliers.

The Wheel well liner pulls out easily.

This gives you access to the rear of the DRLs. They are help in place with 3 small self tapping screws. A nut driver is the easiest tool to use to remove these. The DRL assembly now floats inside a cradle but can't be removed from the rear. If you have a brush gard like I do it has to be removed also. This meant I had to loosen the Tow hooks for removal.

You have to pop the hood and remove one nut on each side that holds the upper grill. This will allow you to pop each end of the grill. You don't need to remove the gril but simply pull the ends out for clearance.The grill isvery flexible but you really have to bend it for clearance of the DRL assembly.

After you have removed the DRL assembly you can replace the OEM bulb with an amberSavania Silver Star.

Reverse the order and button everything back up.
Here's my end results. I reused the OEM DRL bulb.
CAN YOU SEE ME NOW!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Default RE: Clear DRL Tutorial w/Pics

Cool!..Nice write up Bob..Thanks.

I'll move this to the FAQ section above after a little while here.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 AM

Nice write up, Vader. As I mentioned in the other thread, I didn't have to remove the wheel but maybe as I started with a nut driver and long extension on the ratchet so it wasn't hard to reach.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Nice write up, Vader. As I mentioned in the other thread, I didn't have to remove the wheel but maybe as I started with a nut driver and long extension on the ratchet so it wasn't hard to reach.
After doing one side the otherside does come more quickly. The plastic wheel well liner comes out a lot easier with the wheel removed but both ways will work.

I think all the lights being clear looks a lot betterplus offers more continuity and works well with chrome.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 AM

I agree..On your front end especially, the chrome and clear looks good!..You need the fog Bezels to top it all off nicely.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I agree..On your front end especially, the chrome and clear looks good!..You need the fog Bezels to top it all off nicely.
Dennis you talking about the chrome rings that surround the fog lens? I have seen them. Kinda pricey..but what the hell. That's why we work..to have the things we want!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Yeah like these here ..these are the Chromed aluminium
Name:  MVC-004F-1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  75.4 KB

Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Do you recall where you got those and how much? I know you ferret out the bargains.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Here is some chromed aluminum

http://www.xccessory.com/dwxs-h3ppc05003.html

and here is the ones I got...EBAY

Old 07-24-2007, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Here is some chromed aluminum

http://www.xccessory.com/dwxs-h3ppc05003.html

and here is the ones I got...EBAY
Hmmm..those are both chrome plated. That's a sorta hostile enviroment for chrome. Have you seen stainless?

Quick Reply: Clear DRL Tutorial w/Pics