PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Brake Pads on a 2006 Hummer H3

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM

What do you do with the old rotors? Can they be recycled or resurfaced?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Raffi76
I am thinking about replacing the brakes myself next weekend, used to replace them with my uncle in the early 90s on his cars but how hard can it be right ? . Do you guys think I can use the car lever to lift my H3 that comes with the car or should I be using something bigger/stronger ? well actually all I have is what came with the car (I believe they replaced it once as part of a recall) so otherwise I will have to take it to a shop for replacement.
I'm sure this has already been done, but for me, I use a 3-ton floor jack and if needed, floor jacks. I bought the floor jack cheap from Sears Outlet when I had my F250.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

I never work on a vehicle jacked up without 2-3 blocks of wood at key places,,,,never trust a jack or metal stands

Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
I never work on a vehicle jacked up without 2-3 blocks of wood at key places,,,,never trust a jack or metal stands
Very true

And what would those key places be?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

key spots, one on each side of frame,one up front, or rear,or??
i let the jack down enuf to put some weight on them. next time ill get pics.
one is a 12x12 block painted like a dice!.need one more to throw huh!

i trust only wood,no slip,,,

Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yet ANOTHER old as friggin dirt thread dug up????

Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Yet ANOTHER old as friggin dirt thread dug up????
Well, I'm at the point of needing to replace my brake pads and I don't want to pay the dealer or another place to do something that I know I can do, but would like some guidance for.

So, excuuuuuuuuuse me for asking, but isn't this what the forums are for?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Well, let me nicely explain it this way. HG Mike is long gone from the forums, he was admin for a while, nice guy, but since this thread started about 20 days shy of 3 YEARS ago, the pics ain't comin back either.

If this is your first brake pad change, you don't need to worry about rotors unless you scored them with a pad rivet etc... by waiting too long.

It ain't rocket science, go to you local auto parts, or do it through ebay, or on line sources, get some pads of your choosing, and swap them out. If you are not sure of the rotors, take them with you to your auto parts and they will mic them and tell you if they can be turned instead of replaced.

If you would like to post up a brand new thread in the H3 or H3T section so the current membership can comment on your questions, please do. You may want to search the forums as their are other threads on this topic as well. Please do not dig up any more fossils and enjoy.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-04-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM

I would think that if the forum assumes that a thread is too old to be any good and therefore should not be responded to then it should be taken out of the FAQ section. To me, Frequently Asked means that it is something that is current and useful. Yes, it means housecleaning for those in charge, but it seems like it is less work than having to scold people for bring up threads that are deemed "too old".

Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Default Front or Back

Can you tell me how to tell which (front or back) need to be replaced without taking the tire off?

Quick Reply: Changing the Brake Pads on a 2006 Hummer H3