PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Brake Pads on a 2006 Hummer H3

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM

HummerGuy,
when I took off my factory front pads there was that metal plate with the circle marks, my new duralast brakepads had a metal plate on them already so when I install them do I put back the metal plate with the marks ontop of the new pad that has metal already?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:51 PM

whats best place to order pads online? i checked EBC out and it was $220 for front and rear? is that ok? Its first time i am ordering them because i only changed them once at dealers and never going there again paid $1600 for pads/filters/oil change...

Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Anyone know of any answers for my questions?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Great post. Checked this out first and just got done changing my front brake pads. It took about 40 minutes to do both sides, and thats using the scissor jack. Thanks a lot!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Over the years, I've pretty much gone back to only using factory brake parts when I do it myself. I haven't been disappointed since. For our H3, I ordered new front pads and rotors from the GM parts wholesaler that used to support this site. Total cost with shipping was a little over $300.

The GM pads come with 2 sets of backing plate shims, one's stainless steel and the other set is black and looks teflon coated.

A local tire store did the previous brake job with aftermarket pads and didn't install any backing plates so I had nothing to go by for reassembly. I just installed the stainless set and all is fine. Thanks for posting your instructions, seems like I picked the right set for '06.

What's the black set for? Another vehicle model year or do some model year H3's use doubled up backing plates?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 AM

I am thinking about replacing the brakes myself next weekend, used to replace them with my uncle in the early 90s on his cars but how hard can it be right ? . Do you guys think I can use the car lever to lift my H3 that comes with the car or should I be using something bigger/stronger ? well actually all I have is what came with the car (I believe they replaced it once as part of a recall) so otherwise I will have to take it to a shop for replacement.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Smile

Thanks Hummerguy! Great job and great pics! I am about to do the rear pads now. The only thing I am unsure of is if I should buy new front and rear rotors or not. They look fairly smooth...

Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM

I usually push on the old brake pads to push the pistons in evenly. Great write-up man! Thanks for taking the time.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Good job with the pics. Mine will be coming sooon and I would have taken the whole caliper off, so this write-up will save me a little time.
Raffi76 - Ususally no one recommends using the car jack to work on a vehicle as it is a minimal design for emergencies. That being said, it really depends on your comfort level and how stable the vehicle is when you lift with that jack. BUT, you could buy a floor jack with your brake pads and still come in way under the $ it will cost you to have a shop do them.
As far as rotors, I've found that very few places are turning them anymore. From what I've been told, the quality of the steel used for rotors is not what it used to be and most often if they show alot of wear they are probably out of tolerance.

Last edited by Widespread Hummer; 08-28-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM

I'm about to embark on this endeavor (replacing front rotors and pads) and was wondering if the photos that HummerGuy posted are still available.

Bill

Quick Reply: Changing the Brake Pads on a 2006 Hummer H3