PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Some advice for taking a Hummer for a long, long trip (best setup/motor)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Default Some advice for taking a Hummer for a long, long trip (best setup/motor)

Hello all,

I (we) have been reading the forum for some while now, time to contribute and post a question.
We are planning to buy a Hummer H1 and need some advice on what is the best thing to do for us.

What it is that we are going to do with the H1 is going on a trip, say to the other (south) end of the continent.
We don’t use the H1 for pulling or hardcore 4x4, still it’s not all tarmac roads we are going to be driving on…

Important for us:
- Fuel consumption. (Big issue; less is better!! Without loosing to much power/speed)
- Reliability of the motor and the parts/car
- Diesel
- Manual gear/shift (no automatic)
- Getting spar parts of the motor/car (if you are somewhere in South America with a something broken you don’t want to be stuck in “Somewhereville” and waiting weeks and weeks for spare parts)

So, are question is: (considering the above)
- What kind of a H1 is the best one for a little trip like the one we are planning??
- What do you people say is the best set-up for us??
- Different motors??
- Different gears??
- Different tires/rims??
- Different…

Questions for a better advice, just ask! And no, we don’t want to take a Toyota Landcruiser, even if the are more up to the job.
Thnx, for your response!

With kind regards, Geraldo.

(Sorry for my not perfect English, it is not my native language)

Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Hmm, is the even a manual transmission possible??
If not, forget about that one

Geraldo.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Which continent? They came in gas and diesel, which is the easier fuel to find where you are going? Automatic only. Type of terrain/driving? Steep inclines or flat? Do you need the storage of the wagon, want an open top or 4 door hard top?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM

We are planning for the Pan American Highway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway Not only strickly that road, we also do some miles left & right, and drive a little in Brasil.

Its going to be a Hard-Top, storage is in the car and some on the roof (with a roof tent). We will adjust the inside of the car for a overlanders trip, loose the rear chairs, bild some more storige & living space

The roads are mainly "real" roads (keep in mind it's in South America, they have a different perspective of a road) with some real 4x4 driving. It's not like we are going true the jungle from A => B in one straight line, no matter what (it is a nice idea thought)
There is some climbing, nothing a Hummer cant handle..

I like a diesel more, not just for the sound of it. Diesel has less parts that can breake, most of the time easier engine's to fix. And Diesel you can find everywhere (outside the US that is..)
And important, less fuel consumption!!

Thanx for the reply!

Geraldo.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Geraldo,

I would think that the availability of parts and having someone who could work on the vehicle would also be important.

I would recommend that you find a vehicle that is common in South America. Even in some of the "off-the-beaten path" places in North America an H1 is going to be hard to support.

Best wishes on your journey. Doug

Old 03-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Have you done this trip already? How was it? I'm researching to go in a month from San Francisco to Rio de Janeiro with a Hummer. To you have any advice?

Thanks