General Hummer Talk Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

So this is why people hate Hummers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Default So this is why people hate Hummers...

I ventured onto reddit tonight & saw this post with this picture:
Driving for Uber in the Virginia last night
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...ia_last_night/
Name:  quniy7i.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  67.7 KB

I read through the comments & I really think I get why people have hate Hummers now. I really was under the impression people would think before taking what the media says for granted. I knew the media killed the Hummer, but I'm amazed at the polarization a brand that's been dead for 6 years still creates.

What's funny is that people honestly believe that the H2 & H3 aren't offroad capable. I guess they don't know about all of the Baja 1000 wins that were done under the command of Rod Hall.

I just wish people would educate themselves on a topic before commenting. 99% of things stated in that thread are entirely wrong.

It's kind of odd, considering that is probably one of the few vehicles up there capable of taking a drive out during a blizzard with not f***s given.
I'm still glad to own an H2 & H3.

/rant.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:54 PM

The hummer brand is not dead, just the production unfortunately. The last hummer was made in 2006. I dont know where you got 6 years. H2 &h3 are not real hummers. I like chevy trucks but there no hummer. Real hummers - H1 & hmmwv have more ground clearance than any 18 wheeler on the road. No other vehicle on the road is comparable. The D-ring air hooks are held on a h2 with 3m doublesided tape

Last edited by Ian Ward; 01-24-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:09 AM

Wow, such ignorance about the H2 and H3 from someone on this board. Or was that supposed to be sarcasm? Either way, most people on this board know an H2/H3 is a lot more than a Chevy with a body kit. It might be worth noting that H2s were built by AM General, not GM.

I understand why some would think an H2 is a bad choice. I don't agree, but I understand their reasoning. What i don't understand is how someone can claim a H3 is so terrible then suggest a Wrangler is a good choice. MPG is within 1 or 2, offroad ability is pretty close plus the H3 can go up to 35s completely stock. Driving comfort, creature comforts and on road manners all go to the H3.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ian Ward
The hummer brand is not dead, just the production unfortunately. The last hummer was made in 2006. I dont know where you got 6 years. H2 &h3 are not real hummers, they are chevy trucks with a body kit. I like chevy trucks but there no hummer. Real hummers - H1 & hmmwv have more ground clearance than any 18 wheeler on the road. No other vehicle on the road is comparable. The D-ring air hooks are held on a h2 with 3m doublesided tape
Oh Ian, what you don't know about the HUMMER brand (H1, H2 & H3) could fill the internet.

Last edited by TAINTER; 01-24-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

The ignorance in the general population is appalling, it is just on display on Reddit. I laughed at the dumbass comment from the ignoramus who claimed he had been in the Guard.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Ian Ward
The hummer brand is not dead, just the production unfortunately. The last hummer was made in 2006. I dont know where you got 6 years. H2 &h3 are not real hummers. I like chevy trucks but there no hummer. Real hummers - H1 & hmmwv have more ground clearance than any 18 wheeler on the road. No other vehicle on the road is comparable. The D-ring air hooks are held on a h2 with 3m doublesided tape
Ian, the H2 and H3 are real Hummers, just not H1 or hmmwv. Yes they are civilianized and made as production vehicles with more appealing options so the American public would buy them with those creature comforts. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but you should base your opinion on more than ignorance.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:27 AM

I wasn't even going to grace that with a response but whatever. Choochmalooch (whatever your real name is) -keep that popcorn popping.

The H2 is built on a GM gmt820 chassis with all Gm parts, just like Escalade's ,Tahoe and Yukon's. Just a different body.
Hmmwv & H1 were built on their own chassis. They used a Gm block that was, and still is built buy gep with a gm 4L80e trans. The steering column is a ford. The frame, steering system, suspension, diffs, geared hubs ,ctis system & ucp are unique to hummer. Hummer has more ground clearance stock than a 18 wheeler tractor. Real hummers don't have a solid rear axle that's part of what makes them superior especially off-road.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

H2 Hummer 101:

The H2 was built under contract by AM General at a specially constructed plant in Mishawaka, Indiana, USA. The H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the midsection is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pounds (3,900 kg) gross vehicle weight.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 AM

The fact that AM general partnered with GM to design & build the H2 nullifies any argument than an H2 isn't a "Hummer." Call up AM General & ask them what they think.

Arguing that it uses many of GMs parts for the 2500 series is moot.The H1 Alpha uses a Duramax, so that must mean it's not a Hummer anymore. By the same logic, that should be correct. At the same time, Doc Olds is correct about the frame. It's original. You cannot swap it with anything else in the 2500 platform.
From what I've heard & you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, H1s are always in need of maintenance. It's a labor of love, but they are not low maintenance vehicles. GM wouldn't want that in a consumer grade vehicle.

And the statement about 3m double sided tape, lol wow. Troll much?

Old 01-29-2016, 01:15 PM

I really don't care if people say my H3 is a Hummer or not. It's an awesome truck, awesome looking, unstoppable off road, confortable and safe. I LOVE IT! Same for H2. The ones who say Hummers ain't worth s**t offroading are the ones that I usually tow out from ditches or mud pits with my STOCK H3 adv, and the ones who say they're unreliable are the ones that ask to borrow my truck when theirs are all screwed up on some shop, later they compliment it.

Talking whenever an H3 or H2 are real Hummers really is an absurd conversation. Is like saying a GT-R or a Tesla are not real sports car because they lack the traditional super car design. They've proved us they are worth being called super cars and F*ck the haters. Same story with Hummer, enjoy the awesome machine you're driving and don't pay attention to jealous losers.

Quick Reply: So this is why people hate Hummers...