PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Ok the dash noise front left windshield area

Old 02-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Default Ok the dash noise front left windshield area

Is killing me!! I have a 2007 H2 with 100k on it. It sounds like the dash rubbing or something rubbing when I get above 50mph. Like it is right in the corner between the speaker and the winshield.. What the heck is it and hiw do I fix it!!!! It is driving me nuts!!!

Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

H2 questions go in the................

H2 section. Crazy how that works?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM

My 2003 had an annoying rattle in the same area. I had the dash out once to install a Nav system. Drove around without the dash and still had the rattle, could never find it. I know it's not much help to you but I fixed it by trading it off for my 2006 LOL

Old 02-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Are you able to get a recording of it? Is it a squeek or a flapping sound? I've resolved both issues from a incompetent windshield replacement:

1) Flapping sound often come from the window moldings: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...driving-37804/

2) High pitch squeek comes from the cowl panel (GM 19256401) which is not properly fastened to the car body. In my case the two aft clips nearest to the windshield were broken and rubbing on the car chassis along with the cowl support for one of the clips (I had to plastic weld this back together). I further since replaced those clips and even added foam cushions under them to help prevent it from happening again (though, I will probably go back and use 1/16" rubber packing sheet instead of the foam as foam will eventually break down)

Attached Thumbnails Ok the dash noise front left windshield area-img_3153.jpg  

Last edited by clsimmon; 05-04-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:26 PM

The left and right corner front windscreen mouldings tend to warp-away from the glass over time. They can be removed and inspected but exactly how they can be modified to stop them singing at speed I'm not too sure, I just wedged some rubber trim on mine.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
The left and right corner front windscreen mouldings tend to warp-away from the glass over time. They can be removed and inspected but exactly how they can be modified to stop them singing at speed I'm not too sure, I just wedged some rubber trim on mine.
Are you referring to these moldings? Windshield Rattles when Driving

Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 AM

Yes indeed these are the culprits.

One thing, I have done exactly what was advocated however mine still rattled. Experimentation whilst driving (with the aid of a passenger) showed that the vibration is caused by air being forced between the long thin gap between the screen and the moulding which makes it act like a "reed"

To prove the point we took a strip of card and wedged it in the gap and hey presto the noise immediately disappeared.

Either the gap needs to be eliminated, wider or filled. Mine is still has the problem so I'm going to try bonding a thin rubber strip along the edge so that it traps itself between the screen and the moulding. Thats almost the same as the article shows but instead running the 3M tape right up to the edge.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 AM

I ran a bead of Ultra Black silicone down the trim on mine. Works great and looks factory.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
Yes indeed these are the culprits.

One thing, I have done exactly what was advocated however mine still rattled. Experimentation whilst driving (with the aid of a passenger) showed that the vibration is caused by air being forced between the long thin gap between the screen and the moulding which makes it act like a "reed"

To prove the point we took a strip of card and wedged it in the gap and hey presto the noise immediately disappeared.

Either the gap needs to be eliminated, wider or filled. Mine is still has the problem so I'm going to try bonding a thin rubber strip along the edge so that it traps itself between the screen and the moulding. Thats almost the same as the article shows but instead running the 3M tape right up to the edge.
The 3M tape as was mentioned in the thread is really all you need. The two things that prevent this repair from working is 1) not cleaning your plastic and glass surfaces correctly with alcohol or acetone to ensure a good attach, and 2) you're not pulling that molding in really tight to the body of the truck as you're replacing the holding screws.

If the molding itself has become deformed, then I would just go ahead and replace those. The thread has the part numbers, and as of now, they can still be bought from the parts houses.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM

^ exactly. I personally wouldn't do silicone or anything that is going to glue the trim to the windshield in case you need to remove them in the future. I just added 3M foam and it solved the issue for over 4 years now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok the dash noise front left windshield area