PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 4 wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Unhappy H3 4 wheel drive problem

2006 H3. The 4 wheel drive status indicator shows all wheel drive, but the truck is in 4 wheel hi locked. Drove in reverse and it came out momentarily, but went back to 4 wheel locked after a minute or so.

Additionally can't get the drive train into towing neutral. I checked this while troubleshooting the all wheel drive problem above.

The truck will go into 4 wheel low lock and come out of it, but I can't get it to stay in normal all wheel drive.

I haven't contacted the dealer, as I generally don't trust them and this kind of thing seems like a costly repair.

Any Ideas?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM

Sounds like either your "plastic" shift fork is going or the t-case shift actuator. I wheeled with a buddy who had this issue after wheeling and we knocked on the shift actuator a few times with the handle of a big screwdriver and it shifted back into 4hi. He did have to have the actuator replaced but he was under warranty then. If it is the actuator, it is a simple part swap, don't pay a dealer just order the part online and install it yourself.

If it is the shift fork, I think you are SOL and will have to have a Dealer or trans shop replace it with the stronger metal fork. I have heard of GM picking up aome or all of the labor if you bought the part. Might want to give it a try??