Go Back   Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners > Hummer Forums - General > General Hummer Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Unhappy H3 4 wheel drive problem

2006 H3. The 4 wheel drive status indicator shows all wheel drive, but the truck is in 4 wheel hi locked. Drove in reverse and it came out momentarily, but went back to 4 wheel locked after a minute or so.

Additionally can't get the drive train into towing neutral. I checked this while troubleshooting the all wheel drive problem above.

The truck will go into 4 wheel low lock and come out of it, but I can't get it to stay in normal all wheel drive.

I haven't contacted the dealer, as I generally don't trust them and this kind of thing seems like a costly repair.

Any Ideas?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Hummerforums!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Sounds like either your "plastic" shift fork is going or the t-case shift actuator. I wheeled with a buddy who had this issue after wheeling and we knocked on the shift actuator a few times with the handle of a big screwdriver and it shifted back into 4hi. He did have to have the actuator replaced but he was under warranty then. If it is the actuator, it is a simple part swap, don't pay a dealer just order the part online and install it yourself.

If it is the shift fork, I think you are SOL and will have to have a Dealer or trans shop replace it with the stronger metal fork. I have heard of GM picking up aome or all of the labor if you bought the part. Might want to give it a try??

Current: Mr. Red Roc'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad / "BILLY" Goat 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Tags
4wheel, actuator, blue, drive, h2, h3, hummer, issues, problems, replace, shift, stay, time, trouble, wheel, wheeling