PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H2 to H3 Alpha??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Default H2 to H3 Alpha??

Considering going back to an H3, this time to an H3 Alpha. Without getting into the details of why I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially anyone that has gone from an H2 to an H3.

edit: Forgot to ask, how hard is it to find things like sliders, UCP, hunner skids, brush guards, etc?

Last edited by skeptic; 11-20-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

I have had H2s and an H3 Alpha. Love the ride and room of the H2. The H3 Alpha is a great package. There are others sources for the skids. Hummer is no longer making his version but there are other sources. Stock RPP is a crap shoot but Rocky Road makes some nice sliders. There are also aftermarket sources for brush guards and UCP.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:31 PM

Here is one for the group, for those that have owned both, which do you prefer and why? I had an H3 for something like 5 months before trading it for an H3T then traded that for my H2. I have my opinions but it's been years.

FWIW, my reasons for considering an H3 are not related to which I think I'd like more.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I like wheeling the H3 more. It is smaller and does well on the tighter trails. If I was looking for a DD I would go H2. If I was going to use it for both I would lean H3.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 PM

You sound like me. I've had an H2, Sut, H3's in 3.5 and 3.7 and a T with a manual and now an Alpha T. If I was rich the easy answer would be all of them, since I'm not I can afford 2 of them. The Alpha T is my favorite, sometimes I do miss the extra interior space and am idly looking for a green H3 to beat on for camping and logging roads where I don't care if some tree gets up close and personal with a fender and I can chop up as needed without worrying about the spare parts availability for the rear half.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:52 AM

For the engine department, I like the H2 for it has an engine that has plenty of power and reliability, with the trade off of poor mileage.

But I would say, go for it. Rock on!

Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM

For now I think I'll just keep an eye out for an H3 Alpha. The main issue really comes down to parking. I've been spending way too much time lately parking blocks away from where I'm going (hospital) because I can't fit in the two closest parking garages. Then there is the issue with my wife having a bit of a struggle to get in and out of the H2, not terrible with the handles, but a concern of mine.

Sounds easy enough right, just trade my H2 for an H3 Alpha and be done with it. With H2s being worth more than H3s I should be able to walk away with some cash in my pocket or a very low miles great condition H3A or both. Too bad there isn't an Alpha advertised for sale within 100 miles. I really don't want to deal with private party buying/selling as that could leave me without anything while trying to find a replacement.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 PM

Ever think of keeping the 2 and getting a 3? Financially it makes no sense, there may not even be space in your driveway, but each of them has their plusses and minuses.
I know I'd swung heavily toward the 2, but for your reasons of parking the 3, it has little competition for its capabilities and size. My wife and I still gloat on how incredibly the 3 could make a complete U turn in the tightest of spaces. The 2 can't even touch that.
I've always thought about owning an Alpha with the added power over that crappy '06 engine mine had.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by twinmill28
Ever think of keeping the 2 and getting a 3? Financially it makes no sense, there may not even be space in your driveway, but each of them has their plusses and minuses.
I know I'd swung heavily toward the 2, but for your reasons of parking the 3, it has little competition for its capabilities and size. My wife and I still gloat on how incredibly the 3 could make a complete U turn in the tightest of spaces. The 2 can't even touch that.
I've always thought about owning an Alpha with the added power over that crappy '06 engine mine had.
If I did that I'm not sure if my wife would divorce me or just club me to death in my sleep. She sold her Legacy last year and I still keep my Corvette at my Dad's farm due to space. Coming from an oversized 3 car garage with a big driveway to a small 2-car garage w/small 2-car driveway is an adjustment.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Yeah, this is a hard call for you. I really enjoyed our 3 for a lot of reasons; a big one was the Moroccan brown leather interior was first class and held up really well to all of my off-roading excursions. Cleaning the 3's interior went quickly where the 2 still feels daunting because of it's size--but that's why we got the 2, to accommodate our 3 daughters on road trips and that's paid off in spades.
I loved driving both trucks but especially the 3 because it just felt really nimble and much easier to navigate in tight spaces.
I love the 2 simply because it has so much more...presence...to me. The 2, though close in size to the 3, just stands out so much more and doesn't blend in like our 3 did.
For our daily use of the 2 as an all around grocery getter, parts chaser, stuff mover that it has way more capability to meet our needs than the 3 ever did. I did find trying to carry cargo in the 3 was challenging due to lack of usable space. Adding a GOBI rack helped immensely but crawling on the roof, especially in Utah weather, could be challenging and discouraging.

Quick Reply: H2 to H3 Alpha??