PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Custom Roof Rack - give me some inspiration

Old 11-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Wink Custom Roof Rack - give me some inspiration

Hey guys, I am having someone build me a custom roof rack, basically something similar to the one here:

https://www.drive2.ru/l/4733352/

That being said, whilst it's custom, am wondering if there's anything i should think about adding to it. Can be functional, useful, or just bad *** looking. Anyone got any ideas on what they'd have on their perfect roof rack ?

hi-lift jack, shovel/axe holder, rotopax mount maybe, but anything else that you'd think might be cool...

Someone at work mentioned some way of strapping a beer keg up there where it could lay down without rolling off, and then with some extra large straws...

Anyone got anything they'd like to add ?

Last edited by Baldfox; 11-30-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:13 AM

The link you provided goes to a set of H2 owners manuals?

As for a rack, my own personal preference would be something very low profile, maybe with mounts for LED light bars.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Apologies on that i thought i'd changed the link.. anyway this is the custom rack am talking about:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/4733352/

I agree re the low profile, am looking for something low myself...

Old 12-01-2015, 09:30 AM

youll be surprised what kind of a pain it is to put something heavy up there. id definitely add a ladder somewhere that you can either hook on or fold down when needed. it is tough to stand on the boards or tires to put things up there.

id have spots for strap hooks in the middle of it in a few different locations for tying down items that are up there, high-jack mount, sun roof slot, shovel mount, rotopax would be better for the front or back hitch imo unless they are small ones, some enclosed storage would be cool too for some straps or something, needs to be lockable as well.

spot for a light bar on the front, either a flat panel or a couple mount holes for future additions of either a bar or single post smaller lights. (piaa or something smaller)

make sure it is welded solid and mounted tight, otherwise it will rattle when going down the road.

good luck and take some pics!
steve

Old 12-01-2015, 04:34 PM

Thanks for that. Yeah i hear you about rattling etc. I saw a finished version by the same fabricator and it looked pretty solid, and well made. I'm thinking about something shallow mounted for the roof for lockable storage, and also I want a cross member up there just before the sun roof, so if i break suddenly and the roof is open I don't want something sliding onto my lap!

Any general commercial mounts available for things like a jack / wheel holder or best to make your own ? Also any ideas for pre wiring for lights, but maybe using grommets to seal up the holes initially ?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Check out teak-a-toys site. They have a lot of different accessories for the h2 still that many dont. It's too bad they are so expensive. It is a good idea site though.

If it is built well, I doubt it will rattle. My cheapo eBay one snapped and clipped together so it rattles quite a bit while I'm driving.

Steve

Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Forgot about the light. I worked mine up my pillar and out through my top drivers side marker light, ran 2 wires up, have a relay to activate it and a switch inside. The only hole that was drilled was the hole through the firewall. I didn't drill it, the previous owner did for amp wire. I just pulled the wire out and ran my switch wires.

Easy install and van be removed 100%. I never ever cut into harnesses or anything to install stuff. Grommets are always good, helps to stop rubbing as well.

Steve

Old 05-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Ok, so looks like this is going to happen. The roof rack will be made by the same guy that made this one.
https://www.drive2.com/l/4733352/

You can see it finished here:
https://www.drive2.com/r/hummer/399323/
hit left and right to see other pics. I am torn about the LED bars on the side. I absolutely love the look on the Hummer H1 EVS search and destroy racks when they have them, but am thinking they might look silly on my H2. I already have a 50" on the front of mine, and i am a fan of the separate corner lights, and a pair of rear ones but am looking for any other opinions before i commit.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:39 PM

Also i got the option of steel (60kg) or aluminium (40kg) - any pros or cons ? Difference in price isn't such a big deal.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 PM

Sick rack . Do it . The lights are nice even on the side and back.
I'd probably do single row lights on the sides for a sleeker look but functionality wise they are useful. I'd probably bring the sides out further or create some handles so they can be used as grab handles give it that a asault look and function. Make sure u get some metal tabs welded anywhere ur gonna want to mount so u could just drill and mount whatever . I'm not a big fan of racks but the one in your pictures is sick . It's always cool when I see Russians rocking the hummers, u gies rep it up pretty good. Good luck .. Oh btw do aluminum it is strong when constructed well plus I'm sure it'll be a strong enough for whatever u put up there the H2 is already heavy enough .

Last edited by GRILLSMASHER; 05-12-2016 at 11:56 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Roof Rack - give me some inspiration