Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2008 H3 wont crank wont start Help please =]

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Default 2008 H3 wont crank wont start Help please =]

hey everyone

i just joined this forum hoping someone would have the answer for me... i have a 2008 H3 has about 11,938 miles on her... last week i warmed her up but when i turned her on i noticed the battery seemed a lil weak.. so this week i took out the battery and charged it for about 20mins threw it back in her and now she wouldnt crank at all? so i went to get a new battery got home and put it in my H3 and same thing happened? it still wont start... it wont crank i noticed the engine light is on and also the car with a padlock light is lit? ive read a couple of posts and have tried the leave the key in the on position for 10 mins turn it off for 5 secs and then do it 2 more times? but still nothing.... any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

jon

Old 02-22-2020, 12:12 PM

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Old 09-06-2020, 06:12 PM
Default 2006 h3

I'm have the same issue..no crank no start, I'm hearing that I might have to change out the ignition cylinder... Also clean the MAF sensor and charge up the battery...

Old 09-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jose21
Did you ever find out what the problem was?
Originally Posted by 559H3
I'm have the same issue..no crank no start, I'm hearing that I might have to change out the ignition cylinder... Also clean the MAF sensor and charge up the battery...
And............ AVOID digging up OLD Threads!!!!!!!!!!! Like the guy from 9 years ago is going to pop up and say.. Oh, yes, here is your solution.

READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

Old 11-24-2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
And............ AVOID digging up OLD Threads!!!!!!!!!!! Like the guy from 9 years ago is going to pop up and say.. Oh, yes, here is your solution.

READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'
Hey @Jose21, I may not be the guy from 9 years ago but I had the same problem and found the solution. (sorry the moderator is a dick)

The Problem
The DLIS fuse (2 amp) pops every time or almost every time the car starts which triggers the ANTI theft system because the relay to the ignition is no longer recognized. So when you turn the car off it will NEVER start again until the DLIS fuse is replaced.

What I Learned
I tried bumping up the fuses thinking that it was just a temporary power surge but that did NOT work. After digging on the internet I learned that the year is 2021. Shocking I know! That means my GMC Yukon is 13 years old. In those 13 years the motor mounts broke at some point (since fixed) causing the engine to hop a little in the engine bay. This "hopping" cause rubbage of the wiring harness over time. In my case, the wiring harness leaving the engine bay passed through a metal bracket that was designed to hold the wires. Well... That metal bracket chewed threw the protective cover and exposed literally 1 of the 2 million wires. That 1 wire was the DLIS wire.... I **** you not! As a result, every time I started the vehicle the DLIS wire would touch the metal bracket therefore shorting the DLIS fuse. Tada!

The Solution
If you keep popping your DLIS fuse triggering your ANTI theft system resulting in your vehicle NOT starting, then I have the answer for you. Most likely, the wire that powers the DLIS fuse is exposed and when you start you vehicle the wire grounds out causing the 2 amp DLIS fuse to pop. Inspect your vehicles wiring harness as it leaves the engine bay and travels to the fuse box. Look closely at the metal brackets that are design to hold the wiring harness in place. If you are reading this, that likely means your vehicle is old as **** and over the 10+ years of owning it your wiring harness has become brittle and the plastic protective coating has likely disintegrated resulting in exposed wires. If you see any exposed wires (not covered in plastic), I highly recommend wrapping them in electrical tape. Then, if possible, cover the electrical tap with some sort of plastic tubing so the rubbing will not happen again. Lastly, replace the 2 amp fuse and you should be good to go.

NOTE
Considering this issue is a result of basic wear and tear due to old age, I expect this questions is going to start appearing MUCH more often in the forums. Hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2021, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

So everybody, we have been saved by fixed-it from the past. We know know that your 13 year old Yukon won't start because there is a short to the DLIS fuse, because you know, Yukon - H3 all the same, same wiring harness and harness brackets... and there can be no other cause for your H3 to not start or crank. Thank god for this information, it stops the suffering over the years of not having this valuable piece of diagnostic genius. Boy oh boy are we ever lucky to have this belated contribution.

When you start name calling in your first post, tells us a lot about your character. Making a great impression for sure. Quick to make friends right.