PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

armor all

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Default armor all

i just got a bunch of different types of armor all wipes for my b-day and one of them were for exterior plastic and rubber are these fine for the wheels b/c my sister said she heard that amorall makes the crack

Old 02-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Default RE: armor all

Since you asked..I'll be quite honest with you..

I never was a big fan of Armor-ALL...The original formulation was horrible..it would leave everything slimey and yes your sister is right..Armor-all is nothing but silicone and that will suck the moisture out of anything and cause it to get brittle and eventually crack...I don't know about today's Armor-all in all fairness, but I doubt they stopped using Silicones in their stuff...I stopped usingArmor-allover 20 years ago.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:26 AM

I would agree with Dennis. armorall is the worst stuff for your dash, but for tire dressing and wheel cleaner, I have no idea. Since you replace tires more often that your dash, I would assume any damage done by the armorall would become evidant by the end of the usefull life of the tire, but I personally avoid anything with a viking on the bottle.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 AM

I agree with Dennis. The original stuff was silicone based and while it worked great at first, over time it would dry and discolor your plastics. I have not used it myself for ages, so cannot personally speak as to what it's like today, but I have friends who are detailers who say to stay away unless your trying to sell your car right away!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

I would agree with Dennis. armorall is the worst stuff for your dash, but for tire dressing and wheel cleaner, I have no idea. Since you replace tires more often that your dash, I would assume any damage done by the armorall would become evidant by the end of the usefull life of the tire, but I personally avoid anything with a viking on the bottle.
Racist!!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Since you asked..I'll be quite honest with you..

I never was a big fan of Armor-ALL...The original formulation was horrible..it would leave everything slimey and yes your sister is right..Armor-all is nothing but silicone and that will suck the moisture out of anything and cause it to get brittle and eventually crack...I don't know about today's Armor-all in all fairness, but I doubt they stopped using Silicones in their stuff...I stopped usingArmor-allover 20 years ago.
so whats the best thing to use on the dash ?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:54 AM

These two are my favorites

Name:  LexolVinylex-1.gif
Views: 128
Size:  1.5 KB

Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 AM

I have used baby oil mixed with water before. Mix a little in a spray bottle and mist onto the dash, then spread with a damp sponge. Use the oil sparingly, because a little goes a long way, and a thick residue will collect dust like there is no tomorrow. The nice thing about it is it is water based, and the dash will soak up the moisture keeping it from drying out and cracking. You can also use the baby oil on the tires too, but after about 15 minutes the shine is gone because the rubber soaked up the oil. Supposedly it will help prevent the tires from dry rotting, but I have never used it long enough, nor kept tires that long to test that theory.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

I have used baby oil mixed with water before. Mix a little in a spray bottle and mist onto the dash, then spread with a damp sponge. Use the oil sparingly, because a little goes a long way, and a thick residue will collect dust like there is no tomorrow. The nice thing about it is it is water based, and the dash will soak up the moisture keeping it from drying out and cracking. You can also use the baby oil on the tires too, but after about 15 minutes the shine is gone because the rubber soaked up the oil. Supposedly it will help prevent the tires from dry rotting, but I have never used it long enough, nor kept tires that long to test that theory.
Hey, you're supposed to BABY your car, noy BABY OIL it!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Linus that method may be good IF one does not live in a very warm/hot climate...the baby oil acts like just what it is...oil...what does oil do when it gets heated? COOKS! Which then tends to dry out, turn white and crack eventually.

Quick Reply: armor all