PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Default Subwoofer

I have a 2006 H2 with the CD/Navagation system combo deck and Bose speakers. I want to add a small powered sub for some more bass. Where do I connect the line inputs from the sub to? I tried tapping into the rear speaker wires and that didn't work. Is there a factory amp somewhere I could connect to with RCA's?

Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Default RE: Subwoofer

If anywhere, behind the glove box .. BLOWS systems tend to have em there, at least what I've seen on Avalanches ... it was a minor nightmare to get to and not sure how useable it is ... Anyone else care to chime in here!? I haven't dug this deep on the H2 yet ...

Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM

don't know about the h2 specifically but I was an audio/video installer for 6 years. Generally speaking if you have a stock amplified system but no rear subwoofer in the cargo area then you have nothing more than a 4 channel amplified door speaker system. Tapping into that power to run a subwoofer will sound terrible for a few different reasons. First off the amp is going to your doors so it's obviosly crossovered to high/mid range...or full range...either of which is NOT what you want for a sub, you need a signal crossovered to low range. Second by adding another channel you ill be dropping the available power to your current 4 channel setup and also lowering the ohm value at the amp...not a good thing especially on cheap *** stock amps.

Your best bet is to run another amp and dedicate it to your sub.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM

the H2 has a built in, powered sub (under the center console). it sucks, but it's there. there are no RCA connections on the stock stereo system, so the best option would be a complete rip 'n replace.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:29 PM

no need to replace the headunit to get rca's, just need a line booster/coverter. Phoenix gold makes one that gives you distortion free 8V pre amp outputs!! Works great, and I have run over 2000 watt syatems with a stock headunit with this method.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:34 PM

line amp won't make up for the fact that the stock unit blows though

Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

the H2 has a built in, powered sub (under the center console). it sucks, but it's there. there are no RCA connections on the stock stereo system, so the best option would be a complete rip 'n replace.
Agreed ... I see they went away from the Chevy doctrine of stickin' that amp behind the glove box .. tore two or three of em out on Avalanches .. *garbage* And yes, the "sub" blows ... wonder how low it goes ... 40?? probably about 75W worth of "thumping" too .. it's a piece of sh*t! I miss my old system :/

Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

line amp won't make up for the fact that the stock unit blows though

you are right about that! I am going that route in my h3 cause I personally like my stock HU.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:43 PM

i thought about it, but i don't want to give up the storage space in the back for the sub box. the stock unit will drown out most road noises, and real fidelity in a vehicle is impossible.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:32 PM

i really need help. i was installing my sub today, and cant find the wires to use to connect it.. like the blue remote wire.. which blue do i use.

i wired it up, and it comes on faintly and goes away as if there is not a good ground. any one know whats going on?>>

Quick Reply: Subwoofer