PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sound deadener?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Question Sound deadener?

Hey guys, I'm looking to sound deaden my 06 H3 again. Does anyone know off hand how much deadener is needed to cover the entire vehicle? I was looking at alphadamp for the roof and second skin pro for the rest.

This vehicle currently hits around 155db I'm hoping to get into the 160s...

I had to deadened at a local stereo shop years ago, but I guarentee they shafted me. It still sounds like a tin can. I want to do it right this time.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM

I actually did mine with quick roof from home depot (dont judge) its cheap, i used about 9 rolls. @ 155db you have to let me n on whats in there.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 AM

I did this awhile back. This is a copy and paste so may have some extra comments that may not be explained.

This is just a mini mod but maybe one worth considering.
After all the hours I spent in the H3 going to Yellowstone and back I decided to try this.
I removed the rear seats to pack in my bags down low and put my soft items on top of that. I still had a lot of ambient noise from the tires and different road surfaces that over time finally got to me. I know my hearing has degraded but hearing cell calls was difficult at times. Onstar phone thru stereo was lots better.
I thought I would try to bring the Hum in my Hummer down a bit.
Not really wanting to spend the money for dynamat I tried some Frost King self adhesive foil and foam.
12 inch wide roll 1/8 thick 15 feet long. It was almost enough in one roll but I bought two not knowing how this would work. Doing it in stages as a test I only put one layer in there to see what it did. I have enough to probably cover most of the area I did again. I want to make sure the seats fit ok and not misalign seat belts or child seat connections for my grandaughter. I leave the single seat in for her "throne" but you have to also leave in the entire cross piece for the wider seat to avoid cutting anything. It was about $36 dollars for both rolls.
I will make a test run but without all the other stuff I had it will be hard to know the actual overall difference.
I have everything out of there to go weigh and see what my starting point is. I'm still working on that.
I guess the next thing would be another layer and maybe, put some in the rear doors but I hate those dang plastic clips that always seem to break when you mess with them.
I covered all of the painted white area. It conforms well and the stiff foil holds it's shape. Adhesive seems aggressive enough. I did remove the two plastic door threshold pieces to pull up the carpet and get the foil under there.
Name:  DAH_2829.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  75.5 KB
Name:  DAH_2830.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  79.5 KB
That worked well enough I can now tell there is a lot of "road noise" coming from the rear hatch door. So I covered all of the inside of that, three strips behind that wonderful jack and the entire back of the removable access panel.
I think it was worth a little effort and less that $40 dollars.

All that worked well. The "cheap" stuff fit well in all the uneven tight areas. I put the rest of the second roll over some of the first next to the doors. I found you could buy a smaller package of real Dynamat that is for two doors. It was enough to hit the larger areas with a layer. I was going to stick it down under the rear storage area but realized that mat is under the side panels. There are air bags right by the seat belt harness bolts and I decided to die another day. All though some efficiency may be lost I just slid two full width sheets and about a half wide one under the mat.
I would really like to remove those panels and stick some on the fender wells. Maybe later.
You get 4 sheets this size and a autographed picture of Chip Foose.:roll:
Name:  DAH_3028.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  95.7 KB
Name:  DAH_3119.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  136.9 KB