PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H2 Stock Radio - Changing & Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM
Default H2 Stock Radio - Changing & Codes

Hi,

Before I remove it's power, does the stock radio have some kind of security code system? If so does anyone know how to display the codes whilst its still active?

No documentation came with my H2 so no code information etc and there is no GM service here in the UK so any help much appreciated.

Looking to upgrade the stock radio to something like a Kenwood DNX7250DAB (UK satellite version & Nav) although the Parrot RNB 6 looks nice but not released yet.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:17 PM

GM radios have a security feature that ties them to the vehicle VIN.
If you were to put in a different GM radio, it would need to be programmed by a GM dealer to bind to your VIN.
Aftermarket radios such as that Kenwood DO NOT need to be programmed because they do not have that security feature.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bunger
GM radios have a security feature that ties them to the vehicle VIN.
If you were to put in a different GM radio, it would need to be programmed by a GM dealer to bind to your VIN.
Aftermarket radios such as that Kenwood DO NOT need to be programmed because they do not have that security feature.
Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately there's no GM support here in the UK (I don't think) which makes life difficult, fortunately I'm not looking to install a different GM radio.

However I would like to keep the option of re-installing my current radio or to sell it.

Looking into it, it seems my radio is a Theftlock II device with the vehicle VIN hard coded as you mentioned.

So in theory the radio will still work if disconnected and reconnected would this be correct?

To to sell the radio to someone else they would, theoretically, have to get GM to reprogram it at a cost of around $60, is this about right?

Is the radio actually worth much?

Any comments welcome..