PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

The scond time my side airbags have gone off, ON ROAD!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Default The scond time my side airbags have gone off, ON ROAD!!!

OK this is scary. Last year my side airbags fired off when I went thru a puddle on a dirt/gravel road. I went to the hospital and they said no concussion, (MRI) just a big headache and a really sore neck. Felt like I'd gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Today I had two witnesses. I was on a gravel/dirt road following my teen aged son and his friend in his 2WD Toyota PU. All of a sudden, BLAM the side airbags went off. I pulled over thinking I had been shot dead, My son saw the hazard lights go on so they pulled over. they couldn't believe it.

All this after a new transfer case and transmission at 100.000 miles. $6K.

I'm talking to a lawyer and GM this time.

I heard of other H3's where the side airbags went off for no reason.

Thank goodness my son wasn't riding with me. He would have been hurt as well.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking LAWSUIT. That should never happen.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM

I had mine blow also.

PLEASE, contact Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and make a report. The more we get the more NHTSA will take it seriously and force GM to take a "real" look at the issues!!

As far as replacement, my warrany claim was denied and I ended up going through my insurance company. The total bill would have been over $3000! I just had to pay my deductable.

PM me with any questions.

Last edited by TAINTER; 09-27-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Do you have a case? I would be happy to look into this with your case number. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Eric at Product Allegations called today. My case number is 734209. He is going to send someone out to look at it and read the black box. There's no body damage or misalignment of the front wheels either time.

I don't think I'll ever feel safe in that car again. What happens if it blows at 75 mph the posted speed on I-70 which I drive all the time. Any passenger and I will be dead, dead, dead.

They keep asking if I was on an incline. I wasn't but I have been before. They didn't blow then.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 PM

OOOHHHH NO!!! YOU JUST GAVE TRICIA YOUR CASE NUMBER!!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM

I don't think with 3 post to date he is aware of our onboard customer service rep. Why someone hasn't banned them by now is beyond me, they add absolutely NOTHING to the forum.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveSS

They keep asking if I was on an incline. I wasn't but I have been before. They didn't blow then.
They had the nerve to ask you a question like that, on a vehicle which has, as one of it's biggest selling points, its ability to climb steep grades?? I would have been on that rep like ugly on an ape!! (or to quote Doc..."A Rastafarian On A Dime Bag")

Last edited by Broken Halo; 09-28-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Hello, my side airbags went off last April. I was traveling down a gravel road at 47 mph. GM denied my case at product allegation. After reading the 'codes' they determined that the vehicle properly detected a rollover event. I have filed a small claims court lawsuit in CA and will be going on Nov 10th. I have the GPS coordinates along with 3 other Hummer drivers who were in the vehicles close behind and in front at the time. I feel that GM should at least cover this under my extended warrant. My insurance company (Allstate) denied payment saying it was not caused by an accident but by a fault airbag system. I have the exact fear- that I will get this fixed and the same thing will happen ago. We know we didn't do anything that caused the deployment so we know can happen multiple times. Hopefully GM steps up and takes care of us. Contact me for further information.

Gary

Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Standard GM response. They have had numerous instances of non-rollover, non-accident air bag deployment and they almost always claim that it is not covered as their starting position. Search this and other Hummer forums and you will come across other owners that have had this issue and fought the fight. This claim will probably be handled by the "bad" GM that was left behind by their bankruptcy. Clearly GM has an issue that needs to be addressed with their airbag rollover sensors. File a report with the NHTSA also. If GM denies the claim due to a rollover event occuring it would seem that your insurance company would be placed in the unenviable position of having to cover for GM's faulty system. I would have to look and see but it seems like several of the people have had their insurance cover the claim and then sue GM. Not sure how that has turned out. Clearly GM has not handled this well and it is a huge black eye for them from a public relations standpoint. I mean why buy one of GM's exploding cars when the airbags going off in a non-emergency situation might actually even cause the collision or rollover event that didn't happen after they deploy for no good reason? Keep us posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The scond time my side airbags have gone off, ON ROAD!!!